There are several specific measures to proactively manage biosecurity risks associated with barge freight. If you are transporting a vehicle, a vessel, machinery, or construction equipment to the Groote Eylandt Archipelago, you must comply with the ALC Quarantine and Biosecurity Conditions, acknowledging that:
- It has been thoroughly cleaned and visually checked
- It is free from soil, organic material, seeds, or any plant or animal
- It is free from any potential water reservoirs – these can provide potential breeding sites for exotic mosquitoes that can carry disease
- Any equipment or items that have been located outside before being transported have been thoroughly checked for cane toads
- Upon arrival on Groote Eylandt, the item will be inspected for quarantine and biosecurity purposes by Sea Swift and the Quarantine and Biosecurity Officer
All barges landing within the Groote Eylandt Archipelago must be pre-arranged with the Biosecurity Unit, so inspections can be pre-planned and booked in advance. Unloading of freight must occur during daylight hours. This is to ensure the completion of comprehensive inspections whilst the Biosecurity Officer is present.
Failure to comply with these conditions may result in the item being returned to the port of origin at the owner’s expense.