All freight will be inspected by the ALC Quarantine and Biosecurity Officer and cane toad detection dog on arrival to Groote Eylandt. All barges landing on Groote Eylandt and Bickerton Island must be pre-arranged with the Quarantine and Biosecurity Officer, so inspections can be pre planned and booked in advance. Freight landing at Umbakumba can only be unloaded during daylight hours. This is to ensure inspections can be completed comprehensively whilst the Quarantine and Biosecurity Officer is present, as there are no cane toad containment barriers at this barge landing.
If you are transporting a vehicle, a vessel, machinery or construction equipment to the Groote Archipelago you must comply with the ALC Quarantine and Biosecurity Conditions, acknowledging that:
- It has been thoroughly cleaned and visually checked
- It is free from soil, organic material, seeds, or any plant or animal
- It is free from any potential water reservoirs – these can provide potential breeding sites for exotic mosquitoes that can carry disease
- Any equipment or items that have been located outside before being transported have been thoroughly checked for cane toads
- Upon arrival on Groote Eylandt the item will be inspected for quarantine and biosecurity purposes by Sea Swift and the Quarantine and Biosecurity Officer
Failure to comply with these conditions may result in the item being returned to the port of origin at the owner’s expense.