The ALC has an opportunity for a Mining Officer to relocate to the beautiful Groote Eylandt Archipelago for a permanent, full time opportunity to join our Mining & Sustainability team.
The ALC will provide accommodation and relocation assistance to the successful applicant as part of an attractive remuneration package for this exciting opportunity, where you will be able to experience the strong culture of the Anindilyakwa people, while living in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. The mining town of Alyangula on Groote Eylandt offers a number of lifestyle facilities such as, a gym, golf course, tennis and squash courts, swimming pool and oval, all well placed in a beautiful tropical environment with excellent fishing and recreational areas.
As a Mining Office at the ALC, you will help to ensure that mining activities on the Groote Archipelago comply with legislated protection of environmental and cultural values. Current mining activity by South32’s GEMCO manganese mine is entering a closure phase after sixty years of operation. Future manganese mining development on Winchelsea Island is proposed by Winchelsea Mining Pty Ltd to begin in the next three years.
This opportunity to join the ALC’s Mining & Sustainability Department will see you support sustainable development in post mining landscapes, based on a mixture of commercial and conservation land uses while ensuring that mining activities comply with obligations in mining & exploration agreements for GEMCO and Winchelsea manganese mining operations. This role will facilitate best practice operating and mine closure processes at GEMCO and will support development, operation, and closure at Winchelsea mine that is consistent with high local and regional environmental and cultural values, while developing strong relationships with the Traditional Owners of the Groote Eylandt Archipelago to ensure that their expectations are met in regards to mining development and rehabilitation.
- Regularly review mining operations, making site inspections, and approving development permits
- Complete site inspection and compliance reports to establish whether permitted mine development and rehabilitation works are adhered to and meet Traditional Owner expectations, and identify corrective actions
- Organise stakeholder meetings and consult effectively with Traditional Owners on exploration and mining proposals and activities. Ascertain their views and record instructions.
- Organise Cultural Monitoring of permitted mining development, exploration and monitoring work
- Experience building trust with stakeholders of all levels and within an Aboriginal community to reach desired outcomes.
- Degree level or higher qualifications in mining, environment science or engineering.
- A current driver’s licence with experience in the operation of 4WD vehicles off road and able to work safely in remote locations and follow safety procedures.
- Experienced with Microsoft office software, google earth, ArcGIS and NT land information systems.
- Understand the process for lease applications and related tenement functions for exploration and mining titles in the ALC Region according with requirements of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act (ALRA) (NT) 1976 and the NTA 1993.
- High level of interpersonal skills and communication skills, including keeping accurate record of meetings, collaborating with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality when dealing with highly sensitive matters.
- Understanding of Aboriginal Culture, particularly in the Northern Territory.
- Previous experience working with Aboriginal people in a remote community.
- People of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders decent, are encouraged to apply.
Accommodation is provided with this position.A highly attractive remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful applicant, including Holiday Travel Allowance, relocation assistance, 5 weeks annual leave and Salary Sacrifice. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 08 8996 4908.
Pre-employment screening, including an AFP criminal record check, may be undertaken on the person who is being recommended for appointment.
Important note: In the Northern Territory where we are located, there are certain requirements for mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations under public health orders. Applicants should assess and understand these requirements as part of their application decision.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please address the selection criteria in your cover letter and include your resume in your application email, send to email@example.com.